An (Info)Barrel of Smart Passive Income
One of the most common questions asked by readers of Smart Income Detective is undoubtedly ”What is the easiest way of earning a true passive income”.
A true passive income can only be defined in one way; complete the work once to set it up, and then never touch it again, while it continues and continues to yield an income.
These types of Smart Passive Income are extremely hard to find, but fortunately Smart Income Detective has been hard at work and come up trumps again.
InfoBarrel is an article directory that allows anybody to sign up for a free account, submit articles on a huge range of different topics, and then monetize those articles with Google Adsense adverts. When visitors read one of your articles, the adverts are displayed throughout your article. If a vistor clicks on one of these adverts, then you will receive a small commission from Google.
These earning are shared with InfoBarrel; 75% of the revenue is retained by you, the article contributor, with the remaining 25% retained by InfoBarrel.
InfoBarrel was formed back in 2008, and it was marketed as a community based knowledge sharing media site. The site has come a long way from its humble beginnings, with a huge community of people sharing articles on everything from gardening to egg shell painting – and earning a passive income in the process.
InfoBarrel Visitor Statistics
For such a site to work (and for you to make money), we must analyse the traffic statistics to see if they are getting good quality traffic to their site. This is important as the more traffic that visits the site, the higher chance of getting your article read, and in turn, your advert links being clicked. According to Alexa, who are the leading online analysts for website visitor statistics, show us the following (as of 27th of January 2013)
Traffic Rank: 7,460 in the world. This may seem high, but it is in fact very good. there are millions of websites out there, so this is a good ranking.
Unique Visitors Per Month: 670,000 (according to Google Ad Placements).
Average Pageviews Per Visitor: 4.5 per visitor. This means that for every visitor to their site, that visitor views 4.5 pages of the site content before they leave.
If we break that down to what that means to us, then the site is getting over 3 million page views a month!
How InfoBarrel Works
You will need to create an account at InfoBarrel here: InfoBarrel Free Signup. Once signed up and you have verified your email address, you will also need a Google Adsense account. Google Adsense is a free service from google, that allows anyone to place adverts on their website or blog. In return for this, Google pays a commission for every visitor to that website that clicks on an advert. The only difference with InfoBarrel of course, is that you don’t need a website to run these adverts on – all the adverts are displayed on the page that your article appears on.
In addition to Adsense, InfoBarrel also allows you to add other methods of monetization – the Amazon Associate programme pays commissions of 4-10%, when a visitor clicks your link and then purchases something from Amazon.
Once you have signed up, it is time to start writing articles!
What Can I Write About on InfoBarrel?
You can write about anything you want. Without doubt, the best way is to write articles about topics that interests you. This means you can write naturally from your own knowledge of the subject. So for example, if your interest in life is computers, write articles about computers. If you are interested in scrapbooking, write some articles on scrapbooking and so on.
Mind Mapping software is also a useful tool for generating idea’s for articles. Most mindmapping software is free, and helps get those creative juices flowing.
What Can I Expect to Earn on InfoBarrel?
There is no answer for this. It depends on a number of factors, including how many articles you have on the site and how long they have been on.
Is InfoBarrel Worth the Time & Effort, & Can I Make a Passive Income?
If you enjoy writing, and genuinely want to build up a good portfolio of articles then YES! Whilst you will not see an instant income from InfoBarrel, you should see a small, passive income coming in from your AdSense account over a period of time. Obviously the more articles you have, the better the potential there is for earning a passive income on InfoBarrel.
Smart Income Detective Rating
Work rating: 3/5 Quite a bit of work is needed to make this work. Aim for 100 articles to see anything substantial coming in every month.
Earning potential: 3/5 Whilst this will not make you a millionaire, it does have the potential to make you a good passive income every month, but this does depend on the amount of articles you have – the more the better.
All the best,